Sunday, July 1, 2012

Expedition Imagination

Yesterday's "Expedition Imagination" mini sessions were the first of many unique, stylized shoot ideas I've had stewing in my brain for quite a while. I plan to do more of these type of sessions throughout the year. These shoots are stylized around a particular theme, story and color palette, and are a great way for the kids to have fun, interact, and simply play during the shoot. 
The sets are my visual translation of various places, things, and ideas I've experienced throughout my life. One of the questions artists are often asked is, "Where do you find your inspiration?" It's easy to give a general answer (like I just did :), but I thought it would be fun to disect a shoot and tell you exactly how the idea came to be. These mini sessions are perfect for doing just that!
Expedition Imagination was originally inspired by one of my family's favorite summer activities. I grew up camping on the banks of the creek at Buck's Pocket State Park and Lake Guntersville, and had countless childhood adventures there. To a kid, that's what camping is: an adventure, even if it's just in your own backyard. I pooled together some of my parents' old camping gear (the stove, lanterns, pans, and sleeping bag), and my husband and I built a kid-sized tent out of dried canes. But something was still missing.
That's when I turned to my endless source of inspiration: Walt Disney. Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park in Flordia provided just the extra touch I needed for the set. The banner was inspired by the Asia land of the park, where dozens of prayer flags are strung across buildings and walkways. Each color represents an element: red=fire; yellow=earth; green=water; blue=sky; white=air. The banner added just that perfect pop of color. To add an interactive element, I included one of my antique cameras, some old books, a compass, and a map. These props allowed the kids to play and create their own story of their camping adventure.
Despite the heat, it was a fabulous day for photos. Everyone did such a great job, and I came away with some awesome shots. But most importantly, we all had FUN! I hope you enjoy this sneak peek of our adventures!

Miranda








No comments:

Post a Comment